Get or Renew a Library Card
Who is eligible?
Library memberships are available free of charge to all residents and property owners in the Town of Perth, Drummond/North Elmsley Township and Tay Valley Township. Thanks to reciprocal borrowing agreements with the Lanark Highlands Public Library, the Rideau Lakes Public Library, and the Mississippi Mills Public Library, residents of Lanark Highlands, Rideau Lakes, and Mississippi Mills can also freely register for a library card (details below). To become a member, simply present your proof of address and photo identification at the library on 30 Herriott St. Children under 14 accompanied by a parent may use that parent’s ID as proof of identity. See the library’s membership and borrowing policies for more detail.
Borrowing & access privileges for the library’s collections and services:
- Books: Fiction & Non-Fiction, Large Print, Graphic Novels, Picture Books, and more.
- AudioBooks: Books-on-CD
- DVDs: Feature films, documentaries, and television series.
- Digital library: eBooks, eAudiobooks, Digital Magazines, language-learning tools, and research databases.
- … and MUCH more!
The library’s online catalogue is a great place to start searching for materials to borrow
Reciprocal Borrowing Agreement
Residents of the Township of Lanark Highlands, the Township of Rideau Lakes, and the Township of Mississippi Mills can freely register for a library card thanks to reciprocal borrowing agreements. These are formal agreements between the Lanark Highlands Public Library Board and Perth Union Library Board, between the Rideau Lakes Public Library Board and the Perth Union Library Board, and between the Mississippi Mills Public Library Board and Perth Union Library Board, to allow residents from Perth, Tay Valley and Drummond/North Elmsley to sign up for a library card free of charge from the Lanark Highlands, Rideau Lakes, and Mississippi Mills Public Libraries, and for residents from Lanark Highlands, Rideau Lakes, and Mississippi Mills to sign up for a library card free of charge from the Perth Union Library.
- This allows residents to sign up for a library card at either library, but does not integrate systems or collections between libraries.
- Patrons must abide by the rules, regulations, and charges of the library which they are using.
- Materials must be returned to the library system from which they were borrowed.
- Patrons are responsible for replacement costs of lost or damaged materials.
You can still sign up for a library membership. The charge for non-resident annual members is $35 per year for adults and $15 per year for students. High school and elementary students who can prove enrolment in a school in one of the member municipalities are eligible for free membership. Enrolment may be demonstrated by possession of a current student ID card, grade report, or letter on official letterhead from the school.
If you’re here for the summer and do not own property in the member municipalities, you can pay $20 to obtain a card giving full membership privileges from June 1 through September 30.